Ride/Run with me!
- Monday Run: My place in Winnona Park, happy to do a quick 5K or cruise along for an hour with some dirt mixed in.
- Tuesday Night Mountain Bike Ride: Meet at 8:00pm at The Flying Biscuit at 1655 McLendon Ave. Atlanta, GA 30307 at 8:00pm. Ride for ~2.5 hours and bring $10 cash for beer+pizza at the Felinis right down the street afterwards. You'll need a helmet light putting out 300+lumens and some mountain biking ability to enjoy this ride.
- Thursday FM:Race Hilly Road Bike Ride: evenings in the 'summer' half of Daylight Savings Time, meet at 6:45pm at Atlanta Beltline Bicycle for a 2 hour terrible tour of hills. 30 miles, 3000+ft of climbing. Don't show up in the 'winter' half of DST because nobody will be there and it will be cold. Instead, message me about some night mountain biking ;)
- Any other day, any other time, if you want to ride or run ping me (@ckdake on twitter is easiest)
I ride mountain bikes for fun, and ride most other kinds of bikes to make mountain biking more fun. In 2004 I co-founded Faster Mustache which at one point was the place to go for anything bike related in Atlanta. We organized the only urban 24 hour race in the world for 5 years in a row, and spun up a pretty solid race team: FM:Race. In 2009 I raced full seasons of XC mountain bike racing and velodrome racing. 2010 I focused on track racing and as team leader, led us to a 1st place team finish for the season with 4 people in the top 15 individual standings including first place. In 2011 I raced a full season at the track, but focused on the Chainbusters 6-hour race series where Jason and I took 3th of over 75 teams in the Pro/Open Men’s Duo category. Some cyclocross races were ridden, and 2012 was a the year of running races and mountain biking adventures. 2013 onward bring bigger bike adventures, and running with a bigger crowd. In 2014 I ran a half marathon every month, and 2015 onward is back to just making sure I’m mountain biking as much as possible and taking as many new people riding as possible.
- me on Strava
- Me on Singletracks
- me on Garmin Connect
- me on XTrack
- Race Results and Records
- ride stats
Rides of Note
- 2005.10.08-09 - 24 Hours of Adrenalin (Conyers) - My first mountain bike race was a 24 hour team event
- 2005.10.23-24 - FM.24.05 - the only FM.24 that I seriously rode in. The other 4 I mostly ran the event
- 2006.05.13 - Southwestern US Trip - mountain biking in Colorado (Palmer Park and Hartman Rocks) and Moab, Utah (Slickrock and Porcupine Rim)
- 2007.03.07 - Georgia Rides to the Capitol 2007 - first annual (and I've done this every year since)
- 2008.08.02 - Covington Century 2008 - first century
- 2009.03.03 - Georgia Rides to the Capitol 2009
- 2009.08.23 - Mountain Biking in Santa Fe - 1 dude, 120 miles and 14,000ft in 4 days
- 2009.09.27 - Six Gap Century 2009 - 2 dudes, 100 miles, 11,200ft
- 2010.06.09 - Road Biking in Portland - 4 dudes, 200 miles and 13,000ft
- 2011.07.27 - Mountain Biking in Colorado - 2 dudes, 156 miles and 29,000ft
- 2011.11.27 - Strava Turkey Takeoff (and other 2011 riding) - 250 miles in 4 days
- 2012.06.20 - Mountain Biking in Sun Valley, Idaho - 7 dudes, 150 miles and 19,000ft in 6 days
- 2013.10.06 - Mountain Biking in Park City, Utah - 7 dudes, 128 miles, and 16,000ft in 5 days
- 2014.08.19 - Mountain Biking in Oakridge, OR - 4 dudes, 1 gal, 130 miles and 25,000ft in 5 days
- 2014.12.26 - Haleakala Attempt - Made it up 7000ft
- 2015.08-18 - Mountain Biking in Jackson, WY - 5 dudes, 125 miles and 18,000ft in 5 days
- 2016.10.09 - Mountain Biking in Moab, UT.
- 2017.10.16 - Mountain Biking in Pisgah, NC.
(You can rent some of these on spinlister.)
2017 Surly Big Fat Dummy
Big Fat Cargo bike for chainsaw hauling, toddler hauling, and venturing out into the great unknown.
2016 Yeti ASR Enduro
Full squish for the first time in a while. SRAM GX1, Fox Performance, Crank Brothers Candy pedals, 9point8 dropper post. (27.5lb)
2014 Salsa Colossal Ti
Shimano Ultegra 22, Disc Brakes, Thomson/Salsa components, Crank Brothers Quattro pedals (19.85lb)
Titanium road bike for doing all the miles. Bought in November 2013 to replace my 2007 Specialized Roubaix. Working towards getting 20,000 miles in on it.
2009 Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe
Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe frame, Stan's 4.4Ti Crest Wheels, Crank Brothers Eggbeater 3 pedals, Crank Brothers Iodine SL Headset, RockShock SID Team 100m fork, Ergon GR2 grips, SRAM X.9 drivetrain, Race Face Deus XC cranks, Thomson Titanium 6 Bars, 2015 SRAM Guide R Brakes, Thomson Elite seatpost and stem, WTB Silverado Pro seat, Maxis Ignitor UST 2.1 tires (23.4lb)
Steel Hardtail that I spend most of my time on. Full ride location list on singletracks.com. Bought in Summer 2009 with first ride on July 2.
Old Trek 970 frame, old prototype Rolf wheels, Thomson seatpost and stem, RockShock SID SL Fork, FSA Carbon handlebars, Ergon Grips, flat pedals, SRAM X.0 Derailluer, RaceFace 32T front chainring, SRAM Cassette with Wolf Tooth 42T ring, Continental X-King tires.
After all these years I finally have a loaner bike so it's even easier to bring out new people mountain biking. Even though this is a loaner and was pieced together with spare parts and $300, it's a very nice bike and I ride it sometimes instead of my IF. December 2015. 21lb and change.
2006 Redline 925
Phil Wood hubs laced to DTSwiss TH540 rims, 28mm Continental Gatorskins tires, WTB Silverado Pro saddle, Cane Creek front and rear brakes, Ergon grips, freewheel (22.5lb)
To the post office, grocery store, and beyond! Bought August 2007 to replace broken Nishiki.(specs - frame only)
SOLD: 2009 Kawasaki KLX 250S
ProTaper Bars, Acerbis hand guards, Pelican Case (278lb)
Less pedaling, more mud. Bought in July 2012. Sold March 2016
SOLD: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact
Crank Brothers Quattro pedals, Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, Fulcrum Racing 3 Wheels, 23C Specialized Armadillo Elite tires (20.5lb)
Base miles. Bought May 2008 as a first real road bike, Ridden over 10,000 miles all over the place. (specs)
SOLD: 2005 Fuji Track Pro frame
Kazane carbon race wheels with Continental Sprinter tubular tires, Sugino 75 Cranks, Crank Brothers Quattro pedals, Deda bars, Thompson Masterpiece seatpost, Thompson Elite stem, Phil Wood bottom bracket, Selle saddle.(15.7lb)
SOLD: 2005 Gary Fisher Cake 4 DLX
Crank Brothers Candy C pedals, Crank Brothers Cobalt headset, Shimano Deore XT Shadow rear derailluer, Ergon GX1 Grips (29.8lb)
Full Squish. It took me all over Georgia for XC, racing and 24 hour races, and it's been out to Moab, UT. I broke my collarbone in North GA on this one in early 2008. Full ride location list on singletracks.com. Bought Spring 2006 to replace old Tassajara. Sold to a friend who will ride it, as it's been sitting in my house gathering dust since my IF showed up and only getting use as a guest bike. (specs)
IN PIECES: 1997 highly modified Gary Fisher Tassajara
Avid Shorty 7 brakes, Phil Wood hubs laced to Rino Lite rims, lock on grips, Shimano cranks.
My first 'real' mountain bike. Got some time in middle school a long time ago.(specs)
SOLD: 2000 KHS Flite 300
My first road bike, then I discovered fixed gear riding, then I rediscovered mountain biking. It sat in my house for 2 years collecting dust and I finally sold it. Bought Spring 2005 as first ever road bike, Sold Fall 2008. (specs)
SOLD: Tirreno Razza 1000
While in California for the summary, my try at "serious" road riding. Wasn't for me because I didn't have anyone to ride with. Bought Summer 2007, Sold Summer 2007
SOLD: Nishiki Sport
First fixie for me, upgraded and parts replaced and all, met it's end of me riding it in a wreck with a car in California. However, it wasn't too busted and someone bought it to turn it into a commuter bike. Bought Fall 2006, Sold Spring 2009
SOLD: 2010 Fuji Cross Pro
Crank Brothers pedals. (21.2lb)
Cyclocross!. Bought in October 2011. Barely ridden. Sold June 2013.
(some of) The Usual Suspects
- Bob Donlan
- Jim Hodgson
- Jason Atwood
- Brian Tester
- Jason Spruill
- Dave Worth
- Jeff Barber
- Nick Harmer
- Eric Burke
- Laura Colbert
- Ben Murdock
- Aaron Chamberlain
- Christopher Rampton
- Alex Clifford
- Adrian H
- Kurt Rampton
- Seth Kingry
- Eric Nicoletti
(some of the) People I've Taken Mountain Biking For Their First Time or first time in a while
- CBQ - 2013.10.13
- Mike Skalnik - 2012.01.28
- Stafford Brooke
- Bill Phillips
- Brian Gardner - 2013.03.09
- Aubrey Rhodes - 2012.03.11
- David Redwine - 2011.01.02
- Michael Kelly - 2009.08.15
- Jonathan Wallace
- Chris Lewis - 2011.11.19
- Gregg Rothmeier - 2012.04.04
- Federico Holgado - 2012.10.20
- Sean Farrel - 2014.07.28
- Christopher Juckins - 2013.11.23